Tuesday 24 August 2010

Description: Megan Rourke

Through education at Stanwell School, I am currently in Year 13, studying Maths, English, Art and Physics at A level. I achieved 9 A*s, 3 A's, and 1 B at GCSE, and have AS level results AAAB, of which the B in physics is to be resat in January.
Throughout the year I have thrown myself into many activities to ensure full development of my learning, and have been in schemes such as the Engineering Education Scheme Wales, of which our team won the Environment Award in May 2010. I have also participated in Duke Of Edinburgh Bronze, Silver, and Gold, and am working towards Grade 5 in singing. This year, for the scheme of "Young Enterprise", I, along with my team mates, put on a show called "Stanwell's Got Talent", in which students from all years could participate to win a trophy and prize for their talent. The show raised over £800, and along with the Christmas and Easter Fetes in which we sold our handmade items at, we were able to make close to £1000 for the charity, Project Trust, which we gave to a student to ensure his trip to Uganda to help children in their English. I am a Senior Prefect, and have participated in drawing the designs for our school extension, and have attended site visits to ensure that the direction is in one that we would like to go in. Earlier this summer, I worked in England to do work experience on a Chemical Site, in hope it would further my knowledge of the working relationship between architectural engineers, and any other engineers in general. I feel this helped my independence, and I learn about many different aspects of engineering- this links very closely with architecture in terms of who you may work with, and so I thought it a good idea to find out their perspective as well as the architect's.
I am incredibly excited to be doing the Reflecting Wales Project, as I feel it is not only a good opportunity to learn more about the working environment, but will show that I am willing to put in a lot of effort to achieve and show my worthiness. I am undertaking two weeks in the Cardiff Office at Austin-Smith: Lord, during which I will be briefed on many of the case studies, attend site meetings, will be able to visit the Austin-Smith: Lord office in London, and get my own first hand experience in making models, and drawing my own sketches. I feel it is a privilege to work with such experienced architects, and know that I will gain a lot from my work experience.